Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Leaving the Fault Lines

Leaving the Fault Lines 

Strange to think that the acts of three people 
who's stories were so intertwined 
were actually on a delicate tight rope 
and it was only a matter of time that one silly mistake 
would make the fault lines rupture 
and over night 
put everything into rubble. 

For the other two players, 
they had aid and support 
easily at their finger tips. 

But for me, my foundations fell from under me 
and only I myself could climb out of the 
debris of heartbreak 
betrayal 
and feeling the horrible truth 
that despite what they what, 
I think I'll never recover. 

Because what if it happens again? 

What if I never trust him again? 
What if I never get to say "I love you" 
to her again? 

I had such big plans for my "triumphant return" 
but I think my engines show, 
that you all live in a land 
where for some odd reason
a haze makes you try and relieve 
days long past. 

You are all the same. 
Under its song 
of palmetto trees 
and high school morals. 

Trying to get that thrill 
that you all know really 
one can get 
away from the borders 
of that bridge and harbor. 

I write this poem to say 
that I don't blame 
anyone for what happened. 

But I now see 
that I do not belong there. 
Like a creature lost in time, 
my steps in this foreign land
will only lead me to where I belong. 

And sadly,
the probability is, 
I will never see your faces again. 

For I lost them, 
in the shifting fault lines.  

1 comment: