Saturday, January 18, 2014

Kaiju Heart

Kaiju Heart

From the first time I saw them 
as I just left the home of my birth
to start the story of how I would evolve 
from a boy to a man 
I always felt kinship 
to the monsters that made mankind 
look so small. 

I wanted to be like them 
wishing I had the scales, 
or wings, 
or unnatural war cries 
that would make tanks
planes 
and soldiers shudder. 

The destruction they laid across the 
miniature landscapes 
of a land faraway from what I knew 
made many people think I enjoyed 
see the blood bath 
of broken miniature 
and bad lip-syncing. 

But as I got older 
I realized why this genre 
these mighty and rubbery beasts 
made me feel like I was one of them. 

They were unique. 
They were the only ones of their kind. 
They were alone 
and large 
they never could fit
in this modern world 
despite that even though 
people didn't try and understand them 
they still fought to protect humanity 
and the planet 
from forces that were outside 
of anyone's control. 

I connected to their struggles 
and learned of a quote 
that the father of these films 
described 
as he saw that their size 
strength 
weight 
were not their fault. 
They were born that way 
and evil isn't in birth 
it is given. 

And that was their tragedy. 


As a man with a Kaiju Heart 
I try and live in their way 
and control the unstoppable rage 
that is inside 
my own body. 

I do my best to protect 

but I know that in my wake 
things will break
and there will be scars 
in the lands that I tread. 

I guess I always wish to find the sea 
so I can submerge and sleep 
until I am needed to be called upon 
to either save the people 
and clash against other monsters
or 
if I am provoked in my life 
and attacked first 
to show someone 
the sheer terror that I can create 
when rage clouds my vision 
and only the thirst of destruction 
can comfort me and leave me what I fear the most. 

Alone. 

All alone. 


With my Kaiju Heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment