Sunday, January 25, 2015

Barriers

Barriers 

Like most people 
I unknowingly hit barriers 
that I myself 
have set up. 

These barriers
these barricades 
are structures built 
to protect the sheltered 
and fragile core 
of what I've come to know 
as simply me. 

But in these days 
of reaching out 
for stability 
and open doors 
to the soul, 

the once might structures turn vile. 
cemented with hurt memories
and lathered with petty jealousies,  
the protectors turn to jailers. 

Anxiety ropes me back 
in the effort for me to lunge forward 
like a dog on a chain.

As I try and bring down the old regime 
of bitterness and nervousness to those outside my walls, 
the depressed soul stirs 
and tries to coax me back into the familiar waters 
that nearly drowned me 
so long ago. 

With each timber I tear down 
I get more splinters
to remind of what I am losing 
with these new outgoing goals. 

But no matter how ragged my hands become 
from the opening wounds I create, 
I see the light on the other side of those lofty walls.

A reminder to those younger days 
when I wanted to welcome in the vast world around me 
instead of block it out 
and live in my own world 
of monsters and forgotten beasts. 

But that world is dying 
and I wish to adapt and fly away from it 
instead of perish into the most lonely of extinctions
as a creature in a cage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment