Sunday, February 23, 2014

Phantoms

Phantoms 

I think it's ironic 
But probably fitting 
That our best time together 
Our little secret date to the zoo 
Introduced me to the planet of mists 
And the phantoms that lurked 
On that alien world. 

You smiled at me 
So beautifully as I was so intensely 
Interested in this tale
Of a world of mystery and magic 
That sadly in a universe of 
Non-believers 
Has it's mystical truth 
Evolve to a hallowed 
And sad truth 
That ghost stories 
Are simply ghost stories. 

And the sadder truth 
The truth that you and his face 
Say to me as I gaze in the cold 
At an iPhone screen....

Is I am to you a ghost story 
A haunting chill that sometimes 
Flutters in your chest 
and his touch makes you safe. 

I don't like feeling like a Spector 
But I think to a lot 
I am this ghost 
Simply a black and white photo 
Dulled to a faded grey 
Because of a dusty attic. 

Because that story told me 
That when you are a phantom 
That haunts but inspires. 
But as I think about the drive back 
From the zoo 
And the love that was blurring 
I realize that the feeling we felt 
Didn't truly exists. 
And it like the alien phantoms 
Ended up debunked 
And forgotten 
To all but the ones that remember 
That wants to believe 
In the impossible. 

Maybe some day 
My story will be told 
As if I was alive 
But till I can figure out a way to tell it 
I will live in this windowed limbo 
And watch you and him 
Simply forget 
The phantom that you onced believed 

No comments:

Post a Comment